Utah News-Crime Links August 16, 2009

This will be a daily thing. Usually Ill post these on Twitter, and I still will. These are not only for comedy reasons but for serious reasons as well. I want to focus on these issues in Utah for a couple reasons really; One, To shed light on what gets little coverage in the Utah press. Two, ensure that Utahans know that all is not peechy keen here. We have the same problems of any other metropolitan our size, yet it is well hidden and under the surface. So with that said, here goes for today:

*Burglars steal chihuahua; reward offered


Two injured in gang-related Ogden shooting

Updated: 08/15/2009 08:44:38 PM MDT

Two people were injured in a gang-related shooting in Ogden Saturday afternoon.
Ogden police responded to 531 28th Street at 4:18 p.m. after a report of a “run-by shooting,” said Ogden Police Lt. Scott Sangberg.
Sangberg said five men were sitting on a couch in a driveway when another man walked up, pulled out a .22-caliber handgun and fired at least five to six shots at the men on the couch.
A 21-year-old man and 36-year-old man were hit with bullets, Sangberg said.
A bullet deflected off the 21-year-old’s “gang-banger” belt, striking him in the butt, Sangberg said. The 36-year-old was hit in the left calf and was transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Neither injury is life-threatening, Sangberg said.
The shooter, who police do not have a description of, ran away from the scene and jumped into a four-door car.
Ogden’s gang unit is continuing to investigate the case.
Melinda Rogers Salt Lake tribune

*Felony fugitive nabbed after low-speed chase
Crime » Parole officer tells former girlfriend to lock door and windows.

By Sheena Mcfarland
And Scott Sherman

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 08/15/2009 09:57:11 AM MDT

A fugitive sought on felony warrants for violating his parole was arrested Thursday morning after leading Salt Lake City police and Utah Highway Patrol troopers on a low-speed chase.
Officers received a call that a 48-year-old man was armed and suicidal near 350 South and 300 East, according to Salt Lake City police Sgt. Robin Snyder.
His former girlfriend, who lives in the area, received a 3:30 a.m. phone call from the man’s parole officer, warning her he may be coming to the house and for her to lock the door and windows. The ex-girlfriend, who broke up with him in August, had taken out a restraining order when he twice threatened to kill her. He had been spending time outside of her apartment, watching her since the breakup, she said. She said she was afraid because in 1996, he had barricaded himself in his home and shot his estranged wife in the thigh. The Salt Lake Tribune does not name victims of crimes.
The man’s parole officer then called police, who asked the ex-girlfriend to find a way to get the man to come to the house. She called him, saying she needed money. He arrived at the house at about 5:15 a.m., and she attempted to stop him in the middle of the road, she said. He threw $26 out of the car window when he spotted police.
A low-speed chase through the city ensued for 10 to 12 minutes, Snyder said, and then led onto southbound Interstate 15, where Utah Highway Patrol joined.
Near 3300 South and 250 West,
a UHP trooper used his car to bring the fugitive’s car to a stop. The man had a loaded gun in the car, Snyder said. He was booked into jail on a parole violation, fleeing and violation of a protective order.


*Man beaten with bat near his home

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 08/14/2009 10:54:59 PM MDT

A 25-year-old man suffered severe head injuries Friday night when a group of men kicked, punched and hit him with a baseball bat near his home.
The assault occurred around 8:50 p.m. near 4400 South and 3900 West, said West Valley City police Lt. Dalan Taylor.
The four men and a relative of the victim apparently got into a fight several days ago and the relative was arrested, Taylor said.
Friday, the same men showed up at the victim’s house and began taunting him and making threats.
When the man came outside, the group punched and kicked him and began chasing him.
Several houses down they caught him and continued to pummel him. One assailant hit him with the bat several times in the head and body, Taylor said.
The man was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. Police were still looking for the suspects Friday night.
Jason Bergreen


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s